R-VALUE CALCULATIONS OF NUDURA
NUDURA Insulated Concrete Forms have a tested R-Value of 23.59.
for more information on Thermal Resistance Calculations.
THERE'S A LOT MORE TO "ENERGY EFFICIENCY" THAN "R-VALUE"
- High Thermal Mass Concrete Core
- Thermal mass is the ability of a material to absorb and store heat energy. A lot of heat energy is required to change the temperature of high density materials like concrete. Concrete is said to have a high thermal mass. Lightweight materials such as timber materials have low thermal mass, therefore they do not absorb and store heat energy effectively.
- When outside temperatures fluctuate, a building with large thermal mass within the insulated portion can serve to “flatten out” or delay the temperature fluctuations. NUDURA ICF’s work in this manner, the concrete core sandwiched between 2 panels of EPS Insulation, effectively improves the building comfort in areas of temperature fluctuation.
- Continuous Insulation Layers Inside and Out
- NUDURA provides a complete layer of EPS Insulation on the exterior and interior of your building. With NUDURA you will not experience Thermal Bridging as would be found in a stick frame house. Wood components have much higher thermal conductivity than EPS Insulation. Everywhere there is a wood stud, corner post, framed floor or wooden lintel is a location where there is lessened or NO batt insulation. These areas create drafts and cold spots in the wall. A NUDURA home will not have any cold areas as the insulation is continuous around the whole building
- Superior Air Tightness
- NUDURA creates a much more “air tight” building than any other construction method. Our EPS Insulation acts as an Air Barrier, as proven by accredited ASTM testing. The design of our Interlocks and patented DURALOCK Technology® ensure our blocks are mechanically linked together, thus preventing gaps which could allow air to flow through the assembly. Other ICF companies rely on additional tying of the forms to create this seal, which increases the labour time and money spent.
- A second feature is the solid concrete core which also acts as an air barrier. The result is an extremely air tight home. A wood frame house relies solely on an extremely thin sheet of plastic as an air barrier. This barrier is very easily punctured, it has to be joined with a tape product at 9’ increments and it does not self-seal around fastener penetrations. The quality of these wood frame air barriers greatly depends on the method of installation, and the time taken by the installer. It is a much more tedious and time consuming process than NUDURA ICF with less performance.
It’s these 3 elements combined together that make our wall limit heat conductance down to a maximum of 1.9 Btu/SF/Hr at -11 degrees F (5.99 W/m2 at -20 degrees C).
“Performance way beyond what R-Value alone can qualify”